Historian and Professor
Wendy L. Rouse is a historian whose research focuses on the history of gender and sexuality in the Progressive Era. She is presently Associate Professor of History at San Jose State University where she is the program coordinator for the History/Social Science Teacher Preparation Program.
This project uncovers the queer history of the women’s suffrage movement and explores how suffragists boldly defied the gender and sexual norms of the day.
Children of Chinatown
The Children of Chinatown reveals the untold stories of a pioneer generation of young Chinese Americans growing up during an era of exclusion and segregation.
Her Own Hero examines the political and physical empowerment of women through the birth of a women’s self-defense movement in the early twentieth century.
The Queer History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian, Washington, DC
August 30, 2022
5 pm EST
- Newspaper – New York Times. New Books: Public Faces, Secret Lives. May 20, 2022.
- Podcast – Unsung History. The Queer History of the Suffrage Movement. June 6, 2022.
- Podcast – Herstory on the Rocks. Public Faces, Secret Lives. April 12, 2022.
- Podcast – Armchair Historians. Public Faces, Secret Lives. March 15, 2022.
- Video – Her Own Hero. Tilke Hill & Lukia Costello. January 21, 2022.
- Video – Discovering New York Suffrage Stories: Queer Suffragists. Tilke Hill. Buffalo & Toronto Public Media, PBS & NPR, February 8, 2021.
- Video – Suffrage School – Wendy L. Rouse. Radcliffe Institute. Schlesinger Library. Harvard University. July 2020.
- Newspaper – Maya Salam. How Queer Women Powered the Suffrage Movement. New York Times. August 19, 2020.
- Magazine – Sarah D. Collins. The Queer Suffragists Who Fought for Women’s Right to Vote. Them. August 14, 2020.
- Podcast – On the History of Women’s Self-Defence in the USA. Martial Arts Studies. May 24, 2020.
- Podcast – The History of Women’s Self-Defense Jiu-Jitsu. Dirty White Belt Radio. May 15, 2020.
- Podcast – Sports from the Grassroots with Greg Rasheed. KZUM Community Radio Lincoln, Nebraska. October 28, 2017.
- Radio – The Joy Cardin Show. National Public Radio, Wisconsin. September 20, 2017.
- Podcast – Thinking Aloud with Marcus Smith. Classical 89, Bringham Young University Radio. October 16, 2017.